Can I Transfer My Insurance License When I Move?

Make Sure That Your Continuing Education Is Up To Date So Your License Is In Good Standing!
Complete Your CE Now – Start Here: Select your state…AlabamaAlaskaArizonaArkansasCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareDistrict of ColumbiaFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaOhioOklahomaOregonPennsylvaniaRhode IslandSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyoming Are you able to carry your insurance license with you when you move, or do you need to get relicensed?

If you move from one state, where you are licensed, to another state, you can usually get a certificate of good standing from your current state Department of Insurance and submit it along with an application and license fee to your new state. Generally, you do not need to take the licensing test in the new state.

One thing to consider is that you may lose customers you’ve developed over the years if you move. You can, however, keep a non-resident license in the state you are moving from so that you can keep as much of that client base as possible. You can also get a non-resident license in as many other states as you want if your business expands.

Generally, once you have an active insurance license in one state the licensing process in any other state will be very straightforward. You will want to contact your soon-to-be department of insurance for complete requirements.

Is an Insurance Agent able to Transfer their Insurance Producer License to a New State When They Move?


0 Replies to “Can I Transfer My Insurance License When I Move?”