How do you obtain coverage?
There are various ways to obtain health insurance coverage for yourself and your family. How do you get your health insurance?
Do you buy insurance on your own for you or your family? Are you looking to purchase insurance for you and your family? If so, visit Pennsylvania’s insurance marketplace to search for and purchase health and dental coverage and apply for financial assistance. Visit Pennie.com to get started.
Health Insurance Options
Information for individuals and families who have lost employment, have reduced household income, and/or have received federal payments or credits. Click here for more information.
Are you over the age of 65 and eligible for Medicare? If so, click here to view relevant information for seniors, including information on Medicare and Medicare Supplement coverage.
Do you receive coverage through or are you interested in finding out more about one of Pennsylvania’s subsidized programs administered through the Department of Human Services?
Special Enrollment Periods
Open enrollment for individual health coverage runs from November 1 through January 15. But, you can sign up during what are called Special Enrollment Periods anytime throughout the year, if you experience certain changes in your life’s circumstances. These changes include losing health care insurance through your employer, a change in marital status, or if you have moved to a different area. For more information on Special Enrollment Periods visit. Pennie.com.
Health Insurance Rates
Every year, the Pennsylvania Insurance Department reviews all proposed health insurance rates and changes to existing rates for plans in the individual and small group markets. We have a number of resources available to help consumers understand this process and obtain information about requested and approved changes to their rates. For more information on the health insurance rate review process and to see a list of these resources, visit the Affordable Care Act Health Insurance Rate Filings page.
Information for Employers
Are you looking to provide health insurance for your employees? Click here for more information on providing small or large group coverage.
How does health insurance work?
The Pennsylvania Insurance Department has a number of resources to help consumers understand their health insurance.
- Are you shopping for a new health insurance plan? Do you have health insurance and want to learn more? Check out our health insurance literacy video gallery or read our consumer guide on How to Buy Health Insurance (Como comprar un seguro de salud). You can also watch our video on How to Buy Health Insurance in Spanish.
- Do you have health insurance and want to learn more about how to use it? Watch our video on how to best use your new health insurance coverage.
- Do you have health insurance and want to learn more about Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder coverage? Learn more on our Parity page.
- Do you want to appeal a decision made by your health insurance company? Read our guide to the appeals process to understand what you need to do. The guide is also available en Español.
- Are there terms you’ve come across while trying to understand your insurance that you don’t know? We have a glossary of health insurance terms that may be able to help.
- Do you need in-person assistance with shopping for a health insurance plan that’s right for you? We can help you find an insurance professional who can help you out.
- If you are a consumer looking for a health insurance navigator, click here.
Other questions or complaints?
You can always contact the Pennsylvania Insurance Department to ask a question or file a complaint. You can call us at 1-877-881-6388 or click here.