Unoccupied Home Insurance

When do you need unoccupied home insurance?

An empty property policy provides cover for the building and/or contents in properties that are left vacant for 30 days or more.

Your property will be empty when you’re:

  • Awaiting probate
  • Awaiting sale or occupation
  • Undergoing refurbishment or renovation
  • The occupier is absent because it’s a second home, they’ve gone travelling, have been hospitalised, or taken into care

Tell your home insurer when your house will be empty and how long for.

Your policy may cover your vacant house, but if not, you can make alternative arrangements so you’re not running the risk of invalidating your cover.

“Don’t run the risk of leaving it uninsured,” said GoCompare’s home insurance expert, Ryan Fulthorpe.

“Always double check with your home insurance provider whether you’ll be covered past this time period and to what level and, if you’re not satisfied, consider unoccupied property insurance.”

If your home insurance will cover you, check that it’s comprehensive insurance and read the exclusions.

Some policies might ask that you have someone come and check on the home at regular intervals, at least every 14 days.

If you make a claim and the insurance policy is unsuitable for your circumstances, you might not be covered at all.


0 Replies to “Unoccupied Home Insurance”